Modified Equation Palette for FrameMaker 8 … 13
"Standard" in this text refers to the Equations palette as installed with FrameMaker 8 … 10.
Note: The Enhanced Tool Bars (ETB) available for FM FM 7.2/8.0, FM 9.0 to FM-11, FM-12 also installs this enlarged Equation Palette. If You have an ETB version installed, You do not need the installation from here.
Since the introduction of the Equations palette (FM-2, 1989) the size of the palette has not changed although screens became larger and denser. Hence the labels on the buttons became less and less readable:
|Standard palette||Modified palette|
For the work on the palette I just used the locking mechanism and 'Save as View Only'. I have not used the special MIF commands. However, the following must be observed:
- The text frames with the hypertext commands must be in the top level (here on top of the text lines).
- After enlarging the button images line widths had to be harmonised, because due to rounding effects some lines got double width.
- Pictures must be copied, not referenced
- Before saving as View Only all view elements (borders, text symbols) must be switched off or they will appear in the palette.
- Some of the entered equations (button labels) required micro positioning to fit into the button area.
Since text elements are editable (after moving them to the foreground) it was quite easy to derive the German and french versions from the English version. I used the terminology from earlier FM versions (nothing has changed in this area for more than ten years).
The size has been increased to about 125%. The page size is now 20.5 × 5.4 cm. The button images are 578 × 151 pixels, centred on the page.
To get a crisp appearance, character styles (to assign fonts) for texts and button images are used. On the reference pages paragraph styles are used also. The more complicated button labels use real "large equations". Due to these mechanisms the palette is about 2.5 MB compared to 0.3 MB of the standard palette.
Specific master pages
The names of the master pages correspond to the section names of the palette. The master pages contain only the image of the empty buttons. The picture shows the master page Symbols.
Button background must be RGB 198 to avoid "bleaching out" in palette display.
Information on reference pages
- The text frames use multiple columns to be able to see all lines. Compared to the standard palette reference pages have been added to get more room for the definitions.
- Matrix definitions are framed in black. The name of the flow is provided on the last line.
- Pop-up menus are indicated by red borders. The name of the pop-up menu must appear as the first paragraph.
- The numbers on the thumb nails shall help to identify the corresponding area resp. flow name.
- A somewhat detailed description of the various palettes in FrameMaker is given in this PDF.
- Shlomo Perets, 1997: Creating Your Own Toolbars in FrameMaker
- Dan Emory, 1999: FrameMaker Palettes
- Section from FM documentation on Hypertext
- The roots of the Equations palette
- FrameMaker may be open. However the Equations palette must not be open.
- Rename the file
equation-standardto keep it in case of problems.
- Download the appropriate new file (FM-version, UI-language) from this table:
FM- Version English Deutsch Français 8 equation-08-en equation-08-de equation-08-fr 9 equation-09-en equation-09-de equation-09-fr 10 equation-10-en equation-10-de equation-10-fr 11 equation-11-en equation-11-de equation-11-fr 12 equation-12-en equation-12-de equation-12-fr 13 equation-13-en equation-13-de equation-13-fr 14 equation-14-en equation-14-de equation-14-fr
- Copy the new file to the directory
\fminitand rename it to
Please note that there is no file extension - and yes, it must be lower case.
- Open FrameMaker if not already open and issue Special > Equation…
- An error in the German versions (Positioning > Righ/Left did not work) has been corrected as of 2016-10-09.
- Since using Unicode fonts I do not provide versions for FM < 8.
- If you have installed the wrong file version, you either get a message concerning "old version" or "although an FM file… can not open".
- All software from D+DD is Donationware - if you find it helpful for your work, think about supporting my work.
To get your original installation, you only need the following steps:
- Close FrameMaker
- Delete the file
- Rename the file
- Open FrameMaker