Enhanced Tool Bar for FrameMaker 10
Shlomo Perets from MicroType provides the Express Customization for FrameMaker/Win 9.0 files to add useful commands and menu items. This page is about the integration of these commands into a Tool Bar for FM-10 and a modification of the appearance of all tool bars.
"Standard" in this text refers to the original FrameMaker installation.
the installation directory of FrameMaker.
Beware of FM updates
The Ehanced Tool Bar was developed for FM 10.0.1.402. Although the last update to FM 10.0.2.419 does not change any files relevant for the ETB You are recommended to de-install the ETB before you update FM with the patch and install ETB again after successfull updating.
The installation of the Enhanced Tool Bar requires that the Express Customization for FrameMaker/Win 9.0 has been purchased. This is checked during installation.
A complete description of the Enhanced Tool Bar can
be found in
The standard Tool Bars of FM-10 are gray in normal state and coloured only when hovered over. Hence it is difficult to recognise buttons on a large screen instantly.
Enhanced Tool Bar exchanges the icons in the standard Tool Bars so that
the normal appearance is coloured and the buttons are gray in hovered state:
object_properties, para_format, quick_access, structured, table_format, text_format and
To cope with the additional capabilities of the Express Customization for FrameMaker and to save space on laptops, new Tool Bars are defined:
DDD quick access lt
DDD paragraph bar
DDD character bar
Character catalogue, copy ƒ format, repeat last ƒ command, character format drop down list, convert text to lower case, mixed case, upper case.
|DDD tables bar||
Tool tips for all Tool Bars show keyboard shortcuts where applicable.
With the Enhanced Tool Bar the vertical Tool Bar is back to FM-10. For better handling the switching has been changed from 4 to 2 levels. Unfortunately no tool tips are available, hence this description of the buttons. The top right button is a dummy. To leave the Tool Bar click on the X-button.
Two additional work spaces are defined:
DDD_LT for laptops
with at least 1200 pixels width, and
DDD_WS for workstations
with larger screens (> 1820 pixels).
In the D+DD implementation a variant of the MicroType menu is integrated into the Help Menu and some additional documents are available also. The superfluous original menu items Clip Art and Samples are removed, because they just open a folder, while the Enhanced Tool Bar offers better access. Clip art for scales and grids for diagrams is added.
The standard button for inserting special symbols is removed from the Tool Bar, because the new context menu offers a much larger set of symbols from the FM-7 Character set.
In the D+DD implementation the menu Insert Special Character is extended with the following four symbols:
‘ left single quote \xd4 ’ right single quote \xd5 “ left double quote \xd2 ” right dobule quote \xd3
The ToolbarPlus Express and the Enhanced Tool Bars provide PDF documents, which are not available in FM-10 (FM-10 help is online only). For curious people even some still valid documents from FM-7 are provided.
|Title in menu||MT||D+DD||Description (partly form the document)|
|Function Key Chart (PDF)||yes||yes *)||Table with all functions and commands of the MT customization. The second page lists all buttons with their commands which are specific to the MT customization (and hence the Enhanced Tool Bar)|
|Special Characters Chart (PDF)||yes||yes||Five pages with the set of characters and symbols which can be reached with ESC sequences and special short cuts, such as CTRL+Q, x. The following fonts are considered: Windows standard characters; Symbol; Dingbats; Wingdings and Webdings.|
|Standard Shortcuts||yes||yes *)||PDF with list of shortcuts by category (Navigating, Files, Tables, Graphics, Quick Keys and Text Editing)|
|Escape Shortcuts||yes||yes *)||PDF with list of ESC commands by category (Files/Documents, Pagination, Para. Formatting, Tables, Char. Formatting, Special, View, Highlighting, Close Dialog Box, Find and Replace etc.), 2 pages|
|Structured Escape Shortcuts||yes||yes||PDF with list of ESC commands in structure view by category (element, view, focus in, close, validate, move insertion pt, select and miscellaneous). 1 page.|
|Templates, Samples & Clipart||yes||yes||
Read-only FM file with hyperlinks to the various sample files and
clip art files (MT special).
|User Guide||no||yes||PDF with the same content as the online-Help system (for offline work)|
|Character Sets (FM-9)||no||yes||
This document describes support for the Unicode character sets in
Adobe® FrameMaker® 9
|MIF Reference (FM-9)||no||yes||MIF (Maker Interchange Format) is a group of ASCII statements that create an easily parsed, readable text file of all the text, graphics, formatting, and layout constructs that Adobe® FrameMaker® understands. Because MIF is an alternative representation of a FrameMaker document, it allows FrameMaker and other applications to exchange information while preserving graphics, document content, and format.|
|MML Reference (FM-7)||no||yes||FrameMaker ® includes support for a markup language called MML (Maker Markup Language). You can use any standard text editor to create an MML file. Later, you can open the MML file as a FrameMaker document or import it into a FrameMaker template. In a department where different people are responsible for writing and formatting documents, writers can use MML statements to mark up manuals in progress; at the same time, graphic designers can create the formatting specifications in FrameMaker templates.|
|Customizing FrameMaker (FM-7)||no||yes||This manual describes how to customize Adobe® FrameMaker® by changing settings in initialization files and creating custom menu configurations. This information applies to the following platforms: Windows® 98; Windows NT® 4.0 and later; Windows ME; Windows 2000; Windows XP|
|ToolBar Plus UG||yes||no||Installation procedure for the ToolbarPlus Express 4.0 installation (relevant only for the MT flavour)|
- You may wish to read the documentation (1MB) before you decide about the installation.
- The Express Customization for FrameMaker/Win 9.0 is a prerequisite. Purchase it here (USD 25.-) .
- Download Express Customization for FrameMaker/Win 9.0 from Kagi Store, but do not follow further installation advice from the e-mail you got from Kagi/MicroType!
- Expand the downloded ZIP to any location (to be memorised).
This will only store one file
- Close FrameMaker. if necessary.
Version Date Changes 1.0 2011-04-04 First issue of installation program 1.1 2012-08-27 Disturbing dialog for "View > Masterpages" removed
- Expand the downloaded ZIP to any location. This will only store one file
- Execute this self extracting archive, which expands its
C:\SystemMods\FM10-toolbars-en\and then starts the the installation program.
File structure set up in
Depending on the Windows version and the User Account Control settings
you may get prompts to allow access to the system.
- Fill in the location of the MicroType ZIP file from step 4 (or browse for its location).
- The password for the Force option is only communicated to known people for special cases, because I do not want to sacrifice the work of Shlomo Perets for the Express Customization.
- A message box indicates successfull installation (see first note below).
- Installing in Windows 7 (or probably also Vista) generates UAC prompts which must be accepted.
- Although step 11 may indicate successful installation, it sometimes happens that the self extracing ZIP does not extract all files properly. In such cases de-install the partial installtion (Reset FM-GUI to original) and repeat the installation.
- To install the Enhanced Tool Bar for another FrameMaker user on the same machine, see the documentation.
- All software from D+DD is Donationware - if you find it helpful for your work, think about supporting my work.
What is installed on your computer ?
- A shortcut
(De)Installation FM10-tool bars enis placed in the Start Menu folder
All Users\Programs. You may move the shortcut to any sub folder.
- The Microtype file is moved to
C:\SystemMods. (to keep it)
- The following files are copied to the required locations:
- The Tool Bars to
- Additional icons to
- The workspaces to
- The customisation file and documents to
- The vertical tool bar to
- The additional clip art to
- The Tool Bars to
%APPDATA%is the symbolic name for the User area (in XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Dataresp. in Windows 7
HOMEis the installation directory of FrameMaker.
If you want to get rid of the enhancement and go back to the original FM installation:
- Start the installation with the shortcut in the Start Menu and click Reset FM-GUI to original .
- All files of this installation will be removed (tool bars, work spaces, icons, config files, clip art, add. documentation).
- FrameMaker 10 will copy the original tool bars into the user area at its next start.
- Since this is not a Windows un-installation, you must delete the installation directory and the short cut manually to get rid of all items. On the other hand this allows to install the Enhanced Tool Bar again later.